As part of the Arnprior & District Museum’s “The Next Step to Accessibility” project team, this Assistant position will be responsible for photographing and scanning the Museum collection while overseeing image quality and digital organization. This position will handle collection items following conservation guidelines established by the Museum’s Collections Coordinator, take and store multiple digital images, and inform Museum staff of record errors and object duplication.
This position is funded by a successful application to the Canadian Heritage Museum Assistance Program in support of digital access to heritage. The position is dependent on funds received from that agency.
The Digitization Assistant will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
• Practice careful handling of Museum collection items under the direction of the Museum Curator in consultation with the Collections Coordinator.
• Oversee the compete and detailed digitization of collection items, opting to record 2 to 8 images for each item as the complexity and size of the piece demands
and according to guidance from Museum staff.
• Work independently at time in storage locations (i.e., the Museum’s attic, basement, and off-site storage location).
• Record and report label and location errors and object duplication.
• Observe and record possible conservation concerns.
• Support project team efforts to update existing database records and completion of a digitization log that tracks errors and missing information.
• Familiarize themselves with Museum’s collection and 19th and early 20th century rural life in the Ottawa Valley.
• Change work location and focus quickly as project activities shift.
• Collaborate with the Digitization Project Manager, Collections Coordinator, and Curator for the efficient and careful digitization of approximately 7000 items.
• Prioritize extremely high quality collection images through the judicious use of camera and photographic equipment (such as backdrop paper/cloths and
The successful candidate will have as a minimum the following qualifications:
• High School Diploma
• Some knowledge of Canadian/North American History.
• Careful and systematic in the execution of tasks.
• Experience with collaborative, team-based work environments.
• High attention to detail.
• Experience with computers.
• Experience with museums or museum collections will be considered an asset.
• Experience with photography or scanning considered an asset.
Job Type: Full-Time, Fixed-term (until approximately March 31, 2024)
Work Location: Arnprior & District Museum
Hours: 30 hours per week